eSIM stands for "embedded SIM." Think of an embedded SIM as a virtual SIM card. Because an embedded SIM is built directly into the device, you no longer need to swap cards to change your data plans. Instead, you can download data plans from the Airalo app, install them and use them immediately.
In fact, an eSIM has the exact same functionality as a regular SIM, allowing you to do everything like:
- Use your mobile network for local data
- Use your cellular service to call and text
- Screen, scan, store, search, activate, and download data to your device
- Keep your number while still being able to switch your phone line
- Never have to worry about being hit with roaming charges
- Activate your eSIM plan digitally instead of inserting a chip
- Tap the Airalo app to switch your data plan to a local, regional, or global plan
- Maximize data usage by choosing the plan that best suits your needs
To see if your device is eSIM-compatible, please check our comprehensive list here.
Airalo's Online Resources and Guides
Here’s a breakdown of Airalo’s resources and guides for installing, using, and managing your eSIM:
- To learn more about Airalo, please visit About Airalo
- For questions about using your Airalo Airmoney, installing your eSIM on iOS or Android, and other general troubleshooting, please visit the Airalo Help Center.
- If you have a question that the Help Center has not answered, please fill out our contact form or send us an email to get in touch with our support team.
- If you’re interested in becoming an affiliate or partnering with us, please visit our Partnerships page.
- If you want to stay up to date with eSIM technology, visit our blog.
- If you’re looking for video guides and other online content, subscribe to our YouTube channel.
FAQ About eSIMs
Q: What does SIM stand for?
A: Subscriber Identity Module
Q: Can my eSIM be topped up?
A: Depends on the eSIM. Some can be topped up online, or you may have to purchase a new eSIM if the top-up option is unavailable. You can check if your eSIM is top-up enabled in your "My eSIM" tab within the Airalo app.
Q: Why do eSIM prices vary?
A: Different providers will offer different rates based on regional restrictions, market competition, and regulations. While the price of an eSIM may vary from region to region, you can always be sure that Airalo offers a competitive market price for the region.
Q: What's an eSIM validity period?
A: Your validity period means your eSIM will be active for the allotted time in your plan. If you purchased an eSIM with a one-week validity period, the eSIM would become unavailable a week after purchase.
Q: What is my data limit?
A: Your data limit will depend on your package and your validity period. Say you buy an eSIM with 1GB of data and a one-week validity period. You'll need to purchase a top-up or another eSIM package once you use up your data or the validity period expires.
Have more questions? We're here to help! Contact our support team for more guidance.